One area that came up again and again at the City Manager’s Downtown Summit was the need for streetscape and pedestrian traffic improvements. The design plans are now completed and the contractor in place and ready to go. The following work will begin the first week of September 2009 and will be ongoing to completion – estimated 6-8 weeks. The streets impacted include Middle, Palmer, Shattuck, Central, Market, and Prescott.
The scope of work includes:
- Cobblestone repairs on Middle and Palmer Streets
- Installation of new crosswalks that are ADA compliant
- Installation of new handicapped ramps that are ADA compliant
- Removal of the granite rosette at Market/Central/Prescott with new pavement and crosswalks
- New crosswalks will be outlined with reused 16 inch wide granite slabs and the 8 foot interior will be smooth concrete with a scoring patter similiar to sidewalks
Construction will impact parking on the section of the street where work is underway. This will allow us to retain vehicle and pedestrian traffic at all times. Parking will be restored on weekends and when work is complete. Work will be phased to reduce the inconvenience and disruption to residents and businesses. If any street closings are needed to complete work, advance notice will be provided. The contractor will do his best to complete work timely and with minimal disruption and inconvenience. We appreciate the cooperation and patience of our residents, business owners and downtown patrons during this process which will result in an improved historic district streetscape and enhanced pedestrian experience for all.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the DPD at 978-446-7200 and mention the Downtown Improvements